Dr Adam Cohen
Australasian Marine Associates
13:50 Panel Discussion: Reaching and maintaining environmental approval of dredging activities to ensure the longevity of ports
- Communicating with your regulator to determine regulatory expectations and mitigate disputes
- Addressing non-compliance quickly to prevent a reduction in approval
- Staying up-to-date with policy changes to prevent incidental non-compliance
- How do you choose the appropriate methods for site investigation?
- How to predict how thorough the investigation should be?
- When does an investigation have enough data?
09:10 Reviewing evidence at the Great Barrier Reef: Dredging material and its impact on the environment
- Outlining the process of water and sediment quality assessment
- Examining the effects of dredging material in off-shore disposal sites
- Reviewing the guidelines and frameworks for assessing environmental impact
09:50 Panel Discussion: Maintaining sound relationships with regulators to improve upper management confidence in dredging applications
- Exploring strategies for building a relationship between regulators and management before disputes arise
- Establishing constructive mediation between project management and regulators early in the project
- Keeping channels of communication open during the assessment of dredging projects
14:40 Panel Discussion: The future of dredging in Australia and the potential uses of dredge material
- The need for dredging and dredge material for flood management using dykes, break walls and embankments
- The installation of off-shore wind-farms using dredge technology
- Examining the types of future regulation that will govern capital, maintenance dredging and disposal options
- The potential use of dredging activity for environmental enhancement e.g. intertidal areas and sea grass meadows